As event designers AND brides, Pinterest has completely changed the way weddings are planned. As a bride, it is a dream come true. Endless ideas, color palettes and DIY projects to save us money as the bottom line. However, it is easy to get lost in a sea of pins and lose sight of the reality of designing a wedding; particularly flowers in our case.
As designers, and frequent Pinners, we can face many of these challenges when the expectations of flowers can be greatly skewed. Here are a few tips and advice that all wedding Pinners need to know:
1. Don't fall in love with something before you get the price. Many times a bride will get her heart set on something and is disappointed once she sees the price. Many of the AMAZING things you see on Pinterest require an incredible amount of time and labor.
2. The flowers in the picture might not be in season. Pay attention to where and when the wedding took place in the photos. The time of year your wedding is taking place definitely determines what flowers are available and their price.
3. Photo filters can really alter the true colors of flowers creating unrealistic expectations. Filters can make colors appear richer and more vibrant than they actually bloom in reality.
4. D.I.Y. - not as easy as it may seem. D.I.Y. is a great way to save money, just please be prepared to DO THE WORK. As centerpiece gurus, we put so much thought and time to each of our designs...it doesn't just happen by accident.
5. Not all flowers on Pinterest are real! YES - they are too good to be true. (p.s. - there is no such thing as a blue peony!!!) Some brides do use artificial flowers for a number of reason, the main one being allergies. But here at Parsonage Events, we specialize and love to work with fresh flowers.
6. Organize your pins in a way that is helpful. Let's be honest - a lot of us were pinning before we even met Mr. Right. Pinning anything and everything wedding can be overwhelming. Once it is finally time to seriously pin things you would actually use at your wedding - create a new board and start fresh. As a bride planning her own wedding; I took this advice from my own consultant and boy am I glad I did...considering I had over 800 pins on my "Weddings and Events" board!!!
We love, love, LOVE Pinterest and use it on a daily basis. It is our goal as designers to make all your pins and inspiration come to life (without photo shop and filters). We love being able to see a bride's style shine through her Pinterest board! Designing for a bride is much easier when the bride has an open mind and realistic expectations.